After a Retinol chemical peel application, you may notice some changes right away. It could also take three or four weeks before you see the full effects develop.
After the initial redness fades from your skin, you’ll notice that your skin begins to feel tight. Throughout the next three days, the affected area will flake or shed the skin that has been exposed to the treatment. It’s normal for the peeling skin to come off in patches over the course of several days.
Avoid scratching your skin or peeling it off with your fingernails. The skin will appear firmer, smoother, brighter, and more youthful.
During the period that your skin is flaking, make sure to wear sunscreen and protect your skin from sun each day. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser to prevent stripping your skin of additional moisture.
After your peel, continue applying sunscreen daily. Avoid excess exposure to UV light. You may also need to change your grooming habits: waxing and shaving the hair where you have a Retinol peel could injure your skin in the weeks afterward.
You may plan another chemical peel in one month.
• Avoid exposure to LED or UV lights, such as a Skin Scanner, for 7 days following a Chemical Peel treatment (or until skin has returned to normal).
• Do not engage in vigorous aerobic activity on the day of receiving the treatment or within 3 days following the treatment.
• Avoid heat and sun exposure for 5 days following the treatment.
• Do not put treated area directly under a shower spray for 2 days following the treatment.
• Do not use a hot tub, steam room, or sauna for 4 days following the treatment.
• Do not go swimming in a pool or ocean for 4 days following the treatment.
• Do not use a loofah or other means of mechanical exfoliation for 7 days following the treatment.
• Do not direct a hair dryer onto the treated area for 4 days following the treatment.
• Do not apply ice or ice water to the treated area for 2 days following the treatment.
• Do not pick or pull on any loosening or peeling skin as this could potentially damage the skin and cause hyperpigmentation.
• Wait until skin has returned to normal before shaving or waxing the treated area.
• Post-procedure skin care (included with stronger peels) is necessary to attempt to minimize effects and maximize results. Use these gentle products until they are finished.